SelectOne Blog

5 Ways to Enhance Your Productivity in the Workplace


Productivity in the workplace is critical for all employees to feel accomplished, succeed in their role, and get out of work on time each night. Beyond that, the concept of productivity is more than trying to accomplish as much as possible in a short amount of time.

Employee productivity is directly correlated with employee engagement, which is a major problem the U.S. workforce is facing. It has been found that only 31.5% of U.S. employees are engaged in their roles. The other 68.5% cost the American economy up to $350 billion per year in lost productivity. 

$350 billion is a large number to wrap your mind around, but it helps illustrate the importance for each employee to take the time to identify ways to maximize their productivity at work.

For example, take these 5 easy tips into consideration:

1. Refine your Coffee to Water Ratio:

There are many benefits to drinking coffee, including increased alertness, reduced drowsiness, and stimulated adrenaline production. However, in order to reap those benefits and maximize energy, it is essential to balance your coffee to water ratio.

  • Experts recommend that for every coffee, you should drink 16 oz. of water to balance out the effects of the caffeine.
2. Get Up and Get Moving:

Whether you’re completing routine or strategic, complex tasks, your brain can only focus for a limited amount of time.

DeskTime, a productivity app that tracks employees’ computer use, completed a study that found the most productive workers tended to work for 52 consecutive minutes followed by a 17-minute break, often spent away from the computer.   

  • Depending on how flexible your work environment is, take advantage of that 17-minute break by moving to a conference room, taking a chair outside to work for a bit, or getting up to briefly socialize. When you get back to your desk, you’ll feel re-energized and ready to conquer the next task on the to-do list.
3. When are You Most Productive?

We all have certain times of the day we feel more energized and focused. Some people are early risers, and others find they get a second wind in the late afternoon/evening.

  • If you have the flexibility, try to organize your work day around your body’s natural rhythms. Tackle your hardest or most complex tasks when your energy is at its highest level.
  • For many people, that’s first thing in the morning after a good night’s rest and a hearty breakfast. If this is true for you, complete tasks requiring more focus and concentration early in the day, while saving more routine tasks for the afternoon.
4. Surf the Web—occasionally:

Most employers look down upon people surfing the web during work. However, contrary to popular belief, a recent study by the National University of Singapore found taking intermittent breaks to browse the web helped refresh a tired brain and enhance productivity.

Surfing the web was found to be more effective compared to other activities like making personal phone calls, texting, or checking things off your personal to do list. The study found web surfers were able to better complete tasks, experienced lower levels of mental exhaustion, and higher levels of engagement.

5. The 15-Minute List:

Are there days you feel your afternoons are dragging, and you’re running out of energy? Consider a short term, 15-minute list.

  • Create it around low intensity tasks that you know you can complete in a short amount of time and can easily check off your to-do list. This will help you stay productive, even during the times when you are most easily distracted. As simple as a list may be, they help you remember simple tasks you would otherwise forget and allow you to stay organized and less overwhelmed.

Using these tips and others to increase engagement and alertness is essential to your success and happiness in the workplace. For the good of your company and of course your happiness, try to figure out the techniques that work best for you.

Jobs Board

No Comments Yet

Let us know what you think